Thursday, August 4, 2016

Propensity

Propensity

by Seah Greenhorn
(poem with copyright)


On the eastern slope
of the Mount of Olives,

“about two miles”
away from Jerusalem be,

lived Martha, Mary, and Lazarus,
beloved friends of Jesus.

Their home
in the lovely Bethany.

The site today marked by a small village
located 1.5 mi ESE of the Temple Mount
with an Arabic name meaning

“The Place of Lazarus.”

This fact verifying Lazarus' and Jesus'
actual historicity.


During one of Jesus' visits
to this vicinity

his words to Martha
by extension to me
brighten my eyes to see

just where I should place my values
and to what degree.

“Martha, Martha,
you are anxious and disturbed
about many things.

A few things, though, are needed,
or just one.

For her part, Mary chose
the good portion,

and it will not be taken away from her.”

These very words
my thoughts bubble astir.

Maybe as butter churned by Martha
whose hospitality we've come to admire and know.

A generosity of spirit
to set anyone's heart aglow.

What if Jesus were to visit me?
Just what would he observe as to my propensity?

If he spoke regularly
would I be inclined

to be distracted

or would I
like Mary
recline

discreetly at his feet
to feast on nourishment
of more spiritual value to eat?


Today,
technology
makes losing focus
easy.

Consuming our minds
with thoughts that
diminish a desire
for necessary

spirituality.

As an Olympic runner
dispenses

with many luxuries
for a time

to attain acknowledgement
from the world

so as to view
their individual
special capabilities

I should not lose focus on my love
for the Divine Creator
and his son

following their directions
to live
Eternally.

Sacrifices
of time
to enlighten the mind

was the lesson Jesus taught Martha
in a way gently kind.

So to heed this admonition
my personal goals to refine

is to value the example
of a little family in Bethany

escribed

for our thoughts
to be in harmony

with Christ
to align.

No comments:

Post a Comment